The four places where your can learn Spanish in Guatemala are Antigua, Quetzaltenango, San Pedro and Monterrico. In Guatemala we work with schools in four different places because the quality and the prices of the courses are excellent. Guatemala really is the country to study Spanish. The dialect is easy to understand and the teachers have years of experience teaching foreigners.
Guatemala is also one of the most inexpensive places to learn Spanish, making it the ideal country if you want to learn Spanish during a gap year. Or you can do our Central America journey where we combine Spanish courses in Costa Rica and/or Panama and Guatemala. Of course you can always extend your trip by doing volunteer work. So choose the best place to learn Spanish and learn Spanish in Guatemala!
Learn Spanish in Guatemala at our school in Antigua
We work with a very renowned language school that opened its doors more than twenty years ago. This school gives academic credits, an American system that reduces your study time. It indicates this Spanish school is of high quality. The school is inside a large building with beautiful courtyard garden where you can relax. The central park is a short walk. At this Spanish school you will get 4 class hours of private Spanish instruction per day by default but you can choose between 2 and 8 hours a day. Note that 4 class hours means 4 consecutive hours with a 20 to 30 minute coffee break in the middle. Ask us for prices if you want more or less than 4 hours a day. This school is very flexible, you can start to learn Spanish in Guatemala any day of the week, even Sundays!You have the same teacher for a week but can then choose another teacher.
Having experience with different teachers has the advantage that you do not get used to just the one voice, accent and word choice of your teacher. Lessons are given either in the morning and afternoon. If you opt for afternoon lessons we can offer you discount on your tuition fee. Please note however that most activities of the school will be organized in the afternoon!
You can choose to stay in the student guest house or at a host family. In both cases you have your own room. In the student house you will have breakfast only and at the host family you get three meals a day, in both cases from Monday to Saturday. The price of both accommodation options is equal.
The school has a student house located 5 minutes walking distance from the school. There are 6 bedrooms so do not wait longer than needed with booking because those rooms fill up fast. Every room has its own bathroom, yes with warm water! There are several places to study, such as the garden. There is Wifi in the house. You will receive breakfast from Monday through Saturday together with the other students.
You can prepare the other meals in the kitchen or simply enjoy one of the many wonderful restaurants Antigua has to offer or maybe you will take a day trip outside of Antigua on the weekends. The student house is in the center of town.
Host family stay
If you choose this option you will sleep at a local host family about 5 to 10 minutes walking distance from the school. You will have a single room and three meals a day with the other family members, except of Sundays. Of course you will have your preferences when it comes to the family you want to stay at. When you make your reservation we can we can take some of those into consideration, such as: being the only student in the host family, so you can practice your Spanish more, or with other students, smoking or non-smoking family, vegetarian meals, pets or no pets, whether the family has young children or older children.
Look at our volunteer page for free volunteer work in Guatemala.
We can also add a transfer to your package: from the airport in Guatemala City the transport company Trans-Land will pick you up and take you directly to your host family, student residence or hotel in Antigua. Antigua is about 45 kilometers from the airport in Guatemala City. Outside peak hour traffic the journey takes about one hour and costs $35.
Learn Spanish in Guatemala at our school in San Pedro
We have included a host family stays in the standard course package. You will have your own room but you will share the bathroom with others. Wi-Fi is available at the host families. Do you want to stay at a family where you will have your own bathroom and where they will do your laundry? This is possible for a weekly surcharge of $15. Staying at a hotel or apartment is also possible but will always be more expensive. Tell us your wishes with regards to the accommodation and we will find you a nice place. For an apartment, there is a 4-week minimum stay requirement. The school offers the host families they work with a monthly cooking class. This way the families are taught to make different meals for the students and not only the typical Guatemalan food.
The school started its own program to help the poorest families around the lake. You can work there as a volunteer for a couple of hours a day.
Furthermore the school offers free salsa classes almost every day. At the end of the week the school hands out diplomas to the students who are leaving the school. A good opportunity to have a drink with the other students and usually everybody goes out together afterwards. In the weekend they always organize a tour for the students, you only pay a fee to cover the cost, for example for the bus or boat trip.
The school can arrange any type of tour imaginable for the students and does not ask for a fee for the mediation. For example: do you want to go kayaking on the lake with some of the other students? You can kayak from San Pedro to San Marcos, have lunch there and kayak back to San Pedro at your leisure. For only $2 per hour you can rent a kayak: a nice activity on the weekend for very little money! 2 hours of horseback riding you can do here for $10.
How to get there
Learn Spanish in Guatemala at our school in Quetzaltenango
In conclusion the classes consist of two and half hours of mainly grammar, one hour listening and one hour speaking. This school in Quetzaltenango was founded over 25 years ago and won an price, the ‘Educational Excellence Award’, which is given to one school each year by the Iberoamericano Council. A quality school therefore with a modern and attractive teaching system. Good reasons to learn Spanish in Guatemala!
Activities the school offers: free and paid
The school offers activities on a daily basis.Each Monday they hold an introductory meeting where they will tell you all about the school and Xela, at the same time this is a great opportunity to get to know the other students. Also, there are salsa dance classes on Monday night. These types of activities are included in the package. When you go somewhere with your teacher and the other students of the school you only pay the transfer costs and any entrance fees. And for the cooking classes they ask for a small contribution to pay for the ingredients.
Learn Spanish in Guatemala at our school in Monterrico
There is also no internet, you have to go to the village to school or a cafe.
You can also choose to stay witha host family in the village. Ideal for someone who likes to go out. However it will be simple accommodation. You get three meals a day except Sundays. Supplement to the standard package with a shared room in Villa Tortugas is $20 per week but you have 18 meals for that!
The sea is very rough and there is a strong undercurrent so be careful when you enter. It is ok to take a dip but swimming long distances is not recommendable. That is why the hotel also has a swimming pool. There is a volleyball net so people play volleyball regularly and you can join in. There is a turtle rescue center in town which is definitely worth a visit. You can go horseback riding and they offer tours to the mangroves. So plenty to do besides working on your tan!
How to get there
From Antigua there is a shuttle (minivan) to Monte Rico every day at 8 am. The trips takes 2 hours and costs $13. You can book this with us.
Overview, our learn Spanish in Guatemala package includes:
- A private Spanish course of 4 class hours a day, five days a week. In Quetzaltenango it will be 5 hours a day
- Lesson materials and classes suited to your level of Spanish.
- 7 nights accommodation from the Saturday before the classes until the Saturday after the classes, the accommodation options for each place are as follows:
- Antigua: Guest family or student house
- San Pedro: Guest family
- Quetzaltenango: Guest family
- Monterrico: Villa Tortugas or Guest family
- 3 meals a day from Monday through Saturday if you stay at a guest family. Or breakfast from Monday through Saturday if you stay at the studenthouse in Antigua.
- Daily activities from Monday to Friday, some are free some for a fee.
- Placement test before the course starts if you are no longer a beginner.
- Coffee and tea.
- Extensive (travel) information before you leave and assistance once you are at the school.
Transfer from Guatemala City Airport:
- To Antigua: $35
- To San Pero: A private transfer from Guatemala City to Antigua costs $35. In Antigua there are daily shared shuttles to San Pedro for $12 per person leaving at 8:30 am, 2 pm and 4 pm. You might have to spend one night in Antigua depending on the arrival time of your flight.
- To Quetzaltenango: A private transfer from Guatemala City to Antigua costs $35. In Antigua there are daily shared shuttles to Quetzaltenango for $20 per person leaving at 8:30 am, 3 pm. You might have to spend one night in Antigua depending on the arrival time of your flight.
- To Monterrico: private transfer from Guatemala City to Antigua costs $35. A shuttle bus transfer from Antigua to Monte Rico costs $13. The shuttle leaves Antigua at 8 am. Depending on your flights´arrival time you might have to stay in Antigua for one night.
- International flight to Guatemala City. Airlines that fly to Guatemala City airport are: Avianca, Aeromexico, American Airlines, Copa, Spirit, United, Delta.
- Transportation from Guatemala City Airport to the place in Guatemala where you will study Spanish (either Antigua, San Pedro, Quetzaltenanengo or Monterrico). We can arrange these transfers, see prices above.
- Meals (unless meals are part of the accommodation type you choose, for example host family)
- All expenses of a personal nature.
- $35 reservation fee
Learn Spanish in Guatemala. Book your course.
We do not only offer classes to learn Spanish in Guatemala but in many other countries in Central America. Go back to the Homepage to see the different possibilities of learning Spanish in Central and South America or combining your Spanish course with free volunteer work.