Learn Spanish in Antigua and relax at the beach in Monterrico
Three weeks Spanish course in Antigua and the last week on the beach of Monterrico. The first three weeks are the same as our Spanish and Adventure tour Guatemala & Honduras, but in this trip we added one week on the pacific coast of Guatemala instead of diving in Honduras. In Monterrico you will stay at a really nice accommodation right at the beach and you will continue your Spanish lessons (with a different teacher). We also added two nice excursions, but there will be plenty of time to relax! This is a cheaper option then our Spanish and Adventure Guatemala and Honduras, because you will not go diving and you avoid the flight between the two locations, rather Monterrico is an easy two and a half hours bus ride from Antigua.
Spanish course in Antigua Guatemala and weekend excursions
In Antigua Guatemala you will have three weeks of private Spanish classes for four hours a day. Every afternoon the school organizes activities you can join (for some activities you pay a small fee to cover the cost). In the two intervening weekends you go on two special excursions. The first weekend the excursion will be an overnight camping trip to the Acatenango volcano . It is an inactive volcano, so no danger, however you can regularly see lava flows spewing from the nearby volcano Fuego. Note that for this hike, you need to have both a very decent physical condition and a winter coat as at 4000 meters the temperature at night can get close to freezing. You will camp on the go. Tents, camping equipment and food are provided. If this trip would be too physically demanding for you let us know so we can add another activity to your trip instead.
The second weekend you will take a day trip to Lake Atitlan. Breakfast is included in the village of Panajachel. This is also the place where you start the boat tour on Lake Atitlan and visit the following places: San Juan la Laguna, San Pedro La Laguna and Santiago de Atitlan. You will spend about 1 to 1.5 hours visiting each place; in Santiago there is a big crafts market that is really worthwhile. At the end of the day you travel back to Antigua where they will drop you off at your host family. The boat trip is accompanied by a bilingual guide. Lunch in not included.
Monterrico village and accommodation options
In this sleepy village on the Pacific coast it is good to relax. Many roads are not asphalted, you simply shuffle through the sand. At the weekend it is busier when Guatemalans come from the capital but during the week it is quiet in Monterrico. We have opted for very nice accommodation in Villa Tortugas, right on the beach. The property is located 2 km outside the village. It is a 20 minutes walk or 10 minutes bike ride into town. The bikes are made available by the school. Would you rather stay in the village, for example because you want to go out a lot or because you want to experience more of the Guatemalan culture you can also choose the option to stay with a host family where you have 3 meals per day. You then pay $20 extra but you have 3 meals per day, except on Sundays. Note this is very simple accommodation and meals. Even if you have your meals included, go and have a pizza at Johnny’s on the beach, on the weekend the place is full! It is also a cozy place for a beer in the afternoon.
We have added to your package an hour of horse riding along the beach, no you do not have to be an accomplished rider to join. Beforehand you will be asked for your experience and a suitable horse will be chosen. You will also take a boat trip early in the morning through the mangrove where you will certainly see caimans and various bird species. You also get an entrance certificate for a visit to the Tortugario, where turtle eggs are brought which are found on the beach. They come out under ideal circumstances and it is of course nice if you are there at a moment that the turtles are released.
S&A Guatemala $1355
- Three weeks private Spanish course 5 days a week for 4 hours a day.
- 21 nights accommodation with a host family in Antigua where you have your own bedroom and get 3 meals a day except Sundays. By default, the accommodation runs from Sunday to Sunday. If you arrive on a Saturday or before we can book one nights extra for you, this cost $20 per night.
- 7 nights accommodation in Monterrico either Villa Tortuga or host family.
- Weekend hike to the volcano Acatenango. You sleep in a shared tent and three meals and a guide are included. Entrance fee is not included.
- Day trip to Lake Atitlan: boat trip, breakfast, guide and transport to and from Antigua in a minivan.
- Transfer from Antigua to Monterrico in shared minibus.
- Two excursions in Monterrico and entrance fee Tortugario.
- Transportation from the airport in Guatemala City to your accommodation in Antigua. Optional add on $35.
- Meals are not included on Sundays in Guatemala, during your stay in Monterrico unles you choose host family.
- All expenses of a personal nature.
- Entrance fee to the Acatenango volcano paid locally (50 Quetzales which is currently about $7)
- $35 reservation fee.