Learn Spanish and dive for $1595 (includes PADI and flight)
Do you want to learn Spanish and dive in the Caribbean sea? Swim with tiger sharks and for example a spotted eagle ray? We have merged two great destinations. Learn Spanish at a school in the culturally rich city of Antigua, once the capital of Guatemala. Afterwards you go diving in the Caribbean Sea around the Honduran island of Utila. Home to the second largest reef in the world, the ‘Mesoamerican Barrier Reef’. You get three weeks of Spanish classes in Antigua, Guatemala. In the two intervening weekends your go on two special excursions.
Spanish course and weekend excursion
The first weekend the excursion will be an overnight camping trip to the Acatenango volcano . It is an inactive volcano, so no danger, however you can regularly see lava flows spewing from the nearby volcano Fuego. Note that for this hike, you need to have both a very decent physical condition and a winter coat as at 4000 meters the temperature at night can get close to freezing. You will camp on the go. Tents, camping equipment and food are provided. You carry your own luggage and some of the camping gear in your own backpack. If this trip would be too physically demanding for you let us know so we can add another activity to your trip instead.
The second weekend you will take a day trip to Lake Atitlan. Breakfast is included in the village of Panajachel. This is also the place where you start the boat tour on Lake Atitlan and visit the following places: San Juan la Laguna, San Pedro La Laguna and Santiago de Atitlan. You will spend about 1 to 1.5 hours visiting each place; in Santiago there is a big crafts market that is really worthwhile. At the end of the day you travel back to Antigua where they will drop you off at your host family. The trip is accompanied by a bilingual guide. Lunch in not included.
Dive course in Utila Honduras
Transportation to Utila Honduras
After your third week of classes you will have have the whole Saturday to rest because Sunday you will have a long day of travel to Utila. You fly, travel by bus and finally take a boat over to the island. Early on Sunday a private bus will pick you up at your host families house and take you to the airport for your flight to San Pedro Sula in Honduras. The trip to Utila is thus partially flown to save you a bus ride of 14 hours. You will arrive on the same day on the tropical island of Utila. Utila is a nice surprise after a few weeks stay in Guatemala at an altitude of 1600 meters.
After arriving by plane in San Pedro Sula in Honduras you make your way to the bus stop where you take the 10.50 am bus to La Ceiba. The bus is a luxury coach. Arrival in La Ceiba around 3 pm at the pier where you can take the ferry to Utila. At the pier you buy your own ticket for the ferry to Utila. The boat trip takes just over one hour.
Dive course in Utila
Upon arrival in Utila you walk to the dive center where you have 7 nights accommodation in a shared room with other divers, a great way to make new friends! The next day you will start your PADI course or the first two of 10 dives.
The best time to dive is in the afternoon, the diving school always organizes two dives in the afternoon at several very interesting dive sites. You can also redeem two day dives for one night dive. Do you want to do another training course such as a rescue diver course or an advanced course? Let us know and we ask the dive center for the possibilities. This highly professional diving center offers all kinds of diving courses! So we can discuss how you want to fill your dive week and adjust the price accordingly.
The price of this Spanish & Adventure trip Antigua / Utila is $1595.
- Three weeks Spanish group lessons, 5 days a week for 4 hours per day. Or private lessons 5 days a week for 3 hours a day.
- 21 nights accommodation with a host family in Antigua where you have your own bedroom and get 3 meals a day except Sundays. By default, the accommodation runs from Sunday to Sunday. If you arrive on a Saturday or before we can book one nights extra for you, this cost $15 per night.
- 7 nights accommodation at the dive center’s hostel on Utila.
- Weekend hike to the volcano Acatenango. You sleep in a shared tent and all meals and a guide are included.
- Day trip to Lake Atitlan: boat trip, breakfast, guide and transport to and from Antigua in a minivan.
- Transfer from Antigua to Guatemala City airport for the flight to San Pedro Sula.
- Bus ride from the airport of San Pedro Sula to La Ceiba.
- Choose between PADI course or 10 boat dives at the dive center.
- Transportation from the airport in Guatemala City to your accommodation in Antigua. Optional add on $35.
- Boat trip from La Ceiba to Utila. Return ticket costs $60. You can buy this ticket upon arrival at the ferry terminal. Boat departs at 4 pm.
- Meals are not included on Sundays in Guatemala, during the day of travel to Utila and during your week long stay in Utila.
- Transport from Utila to Guatemalain case you fly back home from Guatemala. We can arrange bus transportation from La Ceiba to Antigua for $80, a night in a hotel in Antigua for $25, and transport to Guatemala airport for $35.
- All expenses of a personal nature.
- $35 reservation fee.
To book this Spanish and Adventure tour click here.